Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Anchor Task

ASCD Education Update August 2013 55(8) Planning for Processing Time Yields Deeper Learning encourages a pedagogy that put processing time into instructional design.

The Article


Children Working on An Anchor Task in a Singapore School
I have advocated for a lesson to include an anchor task - where less is more. One task being discussed and milked for learning opportunities for about 15 to 20 minutes of an hour lesson. Singapore mathematics textbooks have been written with this in mind.

An example of an anchor task for a practice type lesson is to give students five number cards and the addition, subtraction and equal signs. The anchor task is to form equations. An anchor task for a new concept lesson is to give students a square piece of paper and ask them to show four equal parts to learn the beginning idea of fractions. The first lesson is one I designed for Primary 1 which I taught to a class in Punggol Primary School and Woodlands Ring Primary School. The second is a Primary 2 lesson in My Pals Are Here! and Math in Focus.

In running an anchor task in maths, a problem is presented and students work on them. Subsequent discussion (if relevant) focuses on different ways of thinking leading to achieving the lesson goal. Often, there are concrete manipulative for the students to work with. Combined with journaling, anchor tasks is one way to plan for processing time.

Quoted in the article | Faster learning is not necessarily deeper learning. ~ Wendy Ostroff, associate professor at Curry College

1 comment:

  1. Hello Everybody,
    My name is Mrs Sharon Sim. I live in Singapore and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of $250,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of $250,000.00 SG. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs Sharon, that refer you to him. contact Dr Purva Pius, call/whats-App Contact Number +918929509036 via email:(urgentloan22@gmail.com) Thank you.

    ReplyDelete